preCICE Workshop 2022: Introduce yourself!

:wave: Hi there!

We want to make the preCICE Workshop 2022 as interactive as possible, and we thought we could complement the virtual conference sessions with the “take-your-time” power of Discourse.

In this topic, we ask everybody joining the workshop to introduce themselves, similar to last year’s Discourse post. If you were an attendee in the last workshop, you can link to your post from last time. You can use this space to add even more information and links to your work. During the discussion sessions of the workshop, you are encouraged to refer others to your post.

Some ideas to get you started:

• :classical_building: Name and affiliation.
  • :woman_technologist: Some work you would like to share (images & videos welcome!).
  • :precice: How long you were using preCICE, how did you find it, what do you know already?
  • :man_student: What do you want to learn in this workshop?
  • :speech_balloon: Any links to forum topics you want to discuss during the hands-on user support sessions? Please also link to your GitHub profile so that we know its your there too :smile:
4 Likes

Here is my introduction from the last workshop.

In this workshop, I intend to catch up on all the new developments in preCICE and its adapters.
And I am also looking forward to the work the community has achieved using preCICE.

5 Likes

Hi there / Γειά χαρά / Servus!

Based on my introduction from last year, my git diff mainly includes contributions across the preCICE ecosystem. In this workshop, I will join @fsimonis in the “what is new in preCICE” talk, where I will talk about the restructed tutorials, the preCICE VM, the preCICE distribution, a few new components, and more. I will then join @uekerman in a three-session training course, and on Wednesday I will present the state and vision of testing the complete preCICE ecosystem.

I am very sad that I have to wait another year (hopefully) to meet most of you in person, but I know that like this I can probably meet some of you that would not be able to travel to Stuttgart. I will be most interested talking to you about growing the preCICE community and enabling it to contribute, as well as helping you with any issues on Thursday, especially related to the OpenFOAM adapter.

Btw, I am MakisH (Gerasimos Chourdakis) · GitHub.

5 Likes

Hello!

I am Ishaan Desai from the University of Stuttgart and I am also a preCICE developer! Apart from everything in my introduction from last year I have been working on various parts of the preCICE ecosystem. In this workshop I will give a talk about my project Adaptive and flexible macro-micro coupling software.

Although a virtual workshop is not an ideal scenario, I am excited to meet everyone next week and listen to stimulating talks and have productive discussions! I would be very interested in talking about multi-scale simulations and load balancing in the context of coupled simulations and also in-general about FEniCS and coupling Julia codes using preCICE.

If you want to have a look at my work, see IshaanDesai - GitHub.

5 Likes

Hello everyone,

as stated in my introduction from last year, I became now part of the preCICE developer team in Stuttgart. My recent work in and around preCICE focuses mainly on our mapping methods. I will also give a related talk about our currently available methods as well as some future prospects on Wednesday. If you want to find out more about my recent contributions and development, check out my profile page on GitHub DavidSCN (David Schneider) · GitHub.

I’m very excited to meet the community again and grasp the variety of applications preCICE is used in. During the workshop, I would be interested in discussing the user perspective of our mapping methods and find out more about issues you face when configuring things more in detail. Of course, I’m happy to help with any related issues during the course and I’m open for discussions about OpenFOAM, deal.II, our tutorials as well as your own applications. I would also appreciate discussions on how we can improve the preCICE ecosystem in general.

Looking forward to next week!

5 Likes

Hi all :wave:!

My name is Hugo Verhelst and I am new here! Just received the email about the PreCICE workshop and ended here on discourse!
About myself: I’m a third-year PhD student at the Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) in the Netherlands. I am working on the border between Applied Mathematics and Maritime Engineering, with main focus on the mechanics of thin membranes with offshore solar applications. We are particularly interested in wrinkling modelling.
I’m a developer in the Geometry+Simulation Modules (G+Smo) which is an open-source C++ library for isogeometric analysis. Herein, I am mainly working on structural analysis, thin shell models and solids.
PreCICE was known to one of my supervisors (Matthias Möller) and we have been thinking to apply it to FSI simulations of floating membranes in waves, combining our isogeometric analysis-based shell and solid codes with a free-surface fluid solver (I guess OpenFOAM) to make a first start. Therefore, the main thing that I want to learn in the next week is how I can integrate PreCICE in my existing codes.

Looking forward to meet you next week!

Hugo

6 Likes

Hi Everyone,
my name is Claudio Caccia, this will be my first preCICE workshop and I’m very excited about that.
Among other things, I’m currently a PhD student at Politecnico di Milano (Polimi) in Italy. I’m working on fluid-structure interaction problems using the multibody dynamics software MBDyn and, of course, preCICE. This is a short description of the first steps I made with preCICE and MBDyn.
I am curious to learn more about preCICE: how to couple multiple solvers, how to implement different mesh motion strategies with the OpenFOAM adapter, how to speedup a simulations… just to name a few.
Looking forward to meet you next week
Claudio

6 Likes

Hi all,

My name is Mike Tree. This will also be my first time attending the PreCICE Workshop, though I think I’ve been using preCICE for about a year and a half now. I am a computational analyst at Corvid Technologies (https://www.corvidtec.com/), and originally came across preCICE as an alternative FSI workflow to solids4Foam. At the time, I was working on a project where a customer wanted 2-way FSI for flow through an artery. I’ve since picked up a project where a customer wants to couple Fluent with Abaqus for 2-way FSI rather than use different solvers (use ANSYS mechanical with Fluent or X-Flow with Abaqus). Naturally, I thought of preCICE and was encouraged to see a preCICE Fluent Adapter already begun. I’m looking forward to a hands-on user support session with @IshaanDesai to continue our efforts here.

At the same time, I’ve spread word across my company about preCICE and @Ray_Scarr has picked up the torch to write a preCICE adapter for our in-house CFD code Raven. We intend to eventually use this adapter to couple with other in-house codes for fluid heating applications.

I’m not much of a developer myself, but I do have a GitHub profile.

6 Likes

Hi everyone,

my name is Julian Schließus and this will be my first preCICE workshop. I’ve been working for half a year with preCICE, OpenFOAM and MBDyn during my Bachelor Thesis.
Currently I am studying Aerospace Engineering (M. Sc.) at the University of Stuttgart.
You can find an overview of the project I was working on here.
For the workshop I am curious to learn more about preCICE and the plans for upcoming functionalities.
Regarding the MBDyn adapter, I think it would be nice to add the modified version (pull request) from Hagen Leipprand to the preCICE MBDyn adapter repository since the current version of the adapter is written in Python 2. Maybe this is something to discuss in the workshop.

Looking forward to seeing you all :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi everyone!
My name is Muhammad Arslan Ansari. People call me Ansari.

I am from TUM (Msc. CSE) and currently working on my thesis with Gerasimos Chourdakis (one of the contributors in preCICE and a Doctoral Candidate at TUM). Together we are trying to investigate geometric Multiscale coupling (1D-3D and 3D-1D) in CDF and FSI. I have been working with preCICE for the last 5 months and due to this experience I got the opportunity to work with different software regarding FEM and computer aided geometry generation. From this workshop I hope to gain knowledge perticularly in multi-scale modelling and coupling via preCICE.
I hope it will be a good one.

Regards.

6 Likes

Hey everybody,

I’m Fritz Otlinghaus, currently doing my master thesis with preCICE, MicroManager, FEBio and libroadrunner at the University of Stuttgart.
I have some limited experience with preCICE, from a lecture, so I’m looking forward to get a deeper understanding.

Regards

6 Likes

Hi there :slight_smile:

My name is Julia Pelzer (JuliaPelzer · GitHub). I just started working on my PhD at the University of Stuttgart. My PhD-topic will evolve somewhere around surrogate models for groundwater flow simulations.
I used preCICE briefly in a lecture two years ago… Hence, I am looking forward to a refreshing introduction about how to apply preCICE, and potential fields of application and limitations in this context.

Looking forward to meeting you all :wink:

6 Likes

Hello Everyone,

my name is Sarah Dietrich and I am working as PhD candidate at the Institute of vehicle systems technology (FAST) at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT). My research focus is simulating the manufacturing process of fiber reinforced plastics during Resin Transfer Molding (RTM) process.

This is my first preCICE workshop. Since a few month I am getting started using preCICE. My aim is to simulate the interaction between a fluid infiltrating a fiber semifinished product with inserted foam core and the deformation of the soft foam material.

Moreover, I am planning on a multi-scale approach to model the form-filling behavior of TFP-structures. For TFP-structures the meso-scale is important since there can occur gaps between fiber rovings that are at least one scale larger than the gaps between the fibers in the roving and thus the filling behavior is significantly influenced by the roving arrangement.

I am attending the preCICE workshop with two aims. First of all, I want to get to know preCICE and its community. And second, I want to learn more about the multi-scale coupling approach by means of a Micro-Manager in preCICE.

Looking forward to meet you next week :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi!

I’m Benjamin Rodenberg and another preCICE developer. I’m a PhD candidate at Technical University of Munich and I am working on bringing multirate and higher-order time stepping into preCICE. I will present the latest developments in this direction in my talk on Wednesday “From low-order to high-order coupling schemes”.

At the workshop I would like to get in touch with users of the FEniCS adapter, the python bindings, and everybody who is particularly interested in time stepping for coupled problems.

See you at the workshop!
Benjamin

6 Likes

Hello everyone,

I’m Chaitanya Kandekar. I just started my PhD at Helmut-Schmidt University, Hamburg.

Currently, I am working on a Stress Corrosion Cracking (SCC) problem.
So while dealing with SCC, I will need to solve multifield, multi-scale coupled problems, for which I want to start using Fenics and preCICE.

I am completely new to preCICE. My aim for this workshop is to learn preCICE from basics and would also like to know the preCICE community.

Looking forward to meeting you all next week!

6 Likes

Hi,

I am Alexander Jaust and I am a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Stuttgart. I am also a member of the collaborative research center SFB1313 where I couple porous media problems using preCICE as part of project D02. I will also give a presentation about the simulation of flow in deformable fractures during this workshop. Besides this I also work on coupling free and porous-medium flow with DuMuX for which I am developing an adapter.

You can find me on GitHub as ajaust where I have mainly some smaller codes and lecture material. An extended description of me and my background can be found in my last year’s introduction.

I am looking forward to see what cool applications others are using preCICE for and I am also curious about the new features the preCICE developers will present.

Looking forward to meet you next week.

5 Likes

Hi :wave:

Really great to read all your introductions :hugs:
Concerning myself, not tooo much has changed compared to last year:

I will introduce the “preCICE support program” during the workshop and I very interested in your opinion on this.

And you will also see me during the “preCICE Course”. My goal is again to meet and speak to everybody during the 4 days.

Looking really forward to next week
Benjamin

4 Likes

Hi everyone,

I am Kürşat Yurt and I am a master student at the Technical University of Munich. I am working on development of ASTE tool of preCICE which is used for testing mappings and will be used for adapter development. For 1.5 years I have been using preCICE for CSD-CFD coupling of helicopter simulations. I am excited to meet new people and have some interesting discussions.

5 Likes

Hi there, my name is Carlos Aznarán. This is my GitHub/Lab profile.

Recently, I maintain some dune modules and pyprecice.

Previously, I attend last year to virtual Dune Course, on the other hand, in a brief numerics course we focus on step-21 from deal.II’s tutorial.

Since this is my first workshop, I will be working on a virtual machine.
It is a privilege for me to stand in this workshop.

Regards.

7 Likes