preCICE Workshop 2021: Introduce yourself!

:wave: there!

We want to make the preCICE Workshop 2021 as interactive as possible, and we thought we could combine the synchronous videoconference sessions with the “take-your-time” power of Discourse.

In this topic, we ask everybody joining the workshop to introduce themselves, similar to last year’s introduction Blitz. Even better, you can use this space to add even more information and links to your work. During the discussion sessions of the workshop, you are encouraged to refer other to your post.

Some ideas to get you started:

• :classical_building: Name and affilitation.
  • :woman_technologist: Some work you would like to share (images & videos welcome!).
  • :precice: How long you were using preCICE, how did you find it, what do you know already?
  • :man_student: What do you want to learn in this workshop?
  • :speech_balloon: Any links to forum topics you want to discuss during the hands-on user support sessions?

Let me break the ice, then. :ice_cube:

My name is Gerasimos Chourdakis, most people call me Makis (in Greek: Gerasimos :arrow_right: Gerasimakis :arrow_right: Makis. Strange, I know, don’t even ask me about the “H”).

I am currently in the middle of my PhD at the Technical University of Munich (Department of Informatics, SCCS). Eventually, I want to bring geometric multiscale (1D-3D, 2D-3D etc) coupling methods into preCICE. Next to my long-term project, I am contributing to several repositories (tutorials, adapters, website/documentation) trying to improve how the different components work together for the (new) user and I am trying to help the community grow. I am maintaining the OpenFOAM adapter repository and I am working on a new ATHLET adapter. I also love teaching (e.g. Programming in C++, CFD, Partitioned FSI) and you can find more information on my webpage.

I started using and contributing to preCICE during my Master’s Thesis and I discovered it while looking for a topic. One of the talks I recently enjoyed giving was a preCICE training session at the OpenFOAM Workshop 2020:

I am very excited about this workshop! Apart from meeting people I did not yet have the chance to talk with and learning from their work, I want to learn (by doing) effective ways to make an online conference engaging.

Main forum topics I would like to discuss:

4 Likes

Hello All

My name is Tom De Laet, I live in Belgium and I’m working for Tractebel, an engineering firm within the ENGIE group. More specifically I’m in the thermal hydraulics section of the nuclear department.

Our job is to model the thermal hydraulics in various nuclear (auxiliary) systems for both newbuild and existing reactors in both normal and accidental conditions. For these simulations we often need different software packages specialized in different kinds of physics and account for online feedback from one to the other. Think for example about the effect of the moderator temperature on the neutron kinetics in a reactor core (moderator temperature effect). To this end we are developing a coupling platform to establish and standardize communication between our tools, of which I am the main developer.

At the end of 2020 I discovered preCICE while looking for ways to include openFOAM into our platform. I noticed that instead of focusing our effort towards this, it might be better to create a preCICE adapter for our platform, giving us access to all the codes already supported by preCICE.

The main goal for me during the workshop will be to see the capabilities of preCICE through the user presentations and to become more acquainted with how the library works. In particular in the standard format for data exchange and the python API.

See you 22 February!

Tom

7 Likes

Hi all :wave:

My name is Benjamin Uekermann and I am the elderly preCICE developer :older_man:
You may remember me from such videos as “The fundamentals of preCICE”.

I did my PhD at TUM in Munich on the parallelization of preCICE including parallel quasi-Newton schemes. When I started in 2012, I was the second person working on preCICE and we had not really any external users. Long time ago …

After my PhD, I have been a postdoc at TUM, then a postdoc at TU/e in Eindhoven and since very recently a Junior Professor at the University of Stuttgart.
Find out more about me on my GitHub profile: uekerman (Benjamin Uekermann) · GitHub

I know the kernel of preCICE very well and the basics of everything around it. Ask me if you have any questions about the numerical methods in preCICE. And I guess everything on a strategic level.

Right now I am looking into how to extend preCICE to more and more multi-scale coupled problems. And how to manage all the different things going on around preCICE at once :see_no_evil: .

My goal for the workshop is to meet and talk to everybody at least once and ask you what you are up to recently. In particular, I would be interested to hear opinions on how we could build up a sustainable funding scheme for preCICE. Maybe you know any best practice examples we should have a look at.

Looking forward to next week!

4 Likes

Hi!

My name is Arved Enders-Seidlitz, I am from Berlin and started a PhD at the Leibniz Institute for Crystal Growth 7 month ago.

I studied Engineering Science at Technical University Berlin and I am now working on the development and validation of simulations for the Czochralski crystal growth processes. The main challenge of my work is the complex coupled physics involved in this process, which requires the coupling of different software. My goal is to implement these simulations in an easy-to-use python framework.

I don’t have any experience with preCICE yet, but I hope to learn a lot more about it during this workshop to use it later in my PhD project.

I am looking forward to meet you all next week!

4 Likes

Hi there! :wave:

My name is Frédéric Simonis and I am PhD candidate at the Technical University of Munich.
You may recognise my name (and face) from the preCICE releases page, as I often take on the role of release manager.

I joined the preCICE team a while ago with the aim to implement dynamic-adaptive meshes.
Recently, I gave a talk at WCCM about this topic, so feel invited to check it out if you are interested! There are a bunch of interesting use-cases for this research including overset methods, remeshing at runtime, and support for adaptive refinement of interface meshes.

My background is mostly traditional computer science with a focus on HPC and a touch of computer graphics and main-memory databases.
Thus, I dive deep into the preCICE library itself and am less involved in the adapter/application side of things.

My most notable contributions for end-users of preCICE are most likely the massive speed-up of the nearest-projection mapping and the reduction in overall memory consumption.
I also rewrote the majority of the build and packaging system and am one of the main maintainers of the Spack package.
In addition to this, I introduced some common workflows to the team and implemented the CI, as well as some additional tools, such as the config-visualizer.

My goal for the workshop is to learn the wishes, problems and needs of our users to improve preCICE in the short- and long-term.

See & hear you next week!

4 Likes

Hi!

I’m Benjamin Rodenberg (formerly Rüth) and also a preCICE developer and PhD candidate at Technical University of Munich. I’m developing and maintaining the python bindings, the MATLAB bindings and the FEniCS adapter.

My main research interest is multirate / multiscale higher-order timestepping. I gave a talk on this topic at last year’s preCICE Workshop. However, this year I will concentrate on the python bindings and I will try to explain why they are a bit crazy and at the same time very useful.

I have an interdisciplinary education as a mechanical engineer / computer scientists and studied engineering science and computational science and engineering (CSE) at TUM. That’s probably also the reason why I’m trying to avoid C++ whenever it is possible, but I’m at the same time happy that preCICE is not entirely written in MATLAB or python.

At the workshop I would like to find out how to make preCICE and the adapters and bindings more user-friendly as well as getting in touch with people who have applications for preCICE where different time-scales or time stepping schemes are relevant.

See you next week!

4 Likes

Hi!

I am Prasad ADHAV. I am a Ph.D. candidate at the University of Luxembourg, and I am a part of the LuXDEM team. My Ph.D. topic is “Complex particle laden Fluid-Structure interaction”.

I have done my bachelor’s in Mechanical engineering and my master’s in Computational Mechanics. Currently, I am working on a project for the evaluation of erosion inside Abrasive Water Jet Cutting Nozzle. This entails coupling OpenFOAM (for CFD), CalculiX (for FEM) and XDEM (for particle motion).

I have been using the preCICE library since April 2020. And started working on modifications to the OpenFOAM adapter required to couple with XDEM later that year. My colleagues have developed the xdem adapter in-house, they presented the work in the 1st preCICE workshop. I am currently working on it to have coupled simulations with the multiphase flow.

In the coming preCICE workshop, I intend to learn more about using the preCICE API, understand the coding of the adapters, understanding how to make my coupled simulation converge, how to use the parallel-implicit coupling schemes, and possibly make them run faster, how to use some of the new features of preCICE. I also intend to discuss some ideas I have regarding my project and get some comments, feedback, and some direction for future work. And also have some open questions for the preCICE team. Finally, I am also excited to see all the work going on using preCICE and interact with the community. :grin:

Some topics I would like hands-on experience with:

• Summation action
  • Multiphase coupled simulations with default OpenFOAM adapter
  • CalculiX adapter with CalculiX complied with multi-thread for parallel runs
  • CalculiX adapter modifications to pause after *STEP completion for frequency calculations

See you next week in the workshop. :smiley:

4 Likes

Hi everyone!

I am Ishaan Desai, a preCICE developer and a PhD candidate in the department of Usability and Sustainability of Simulation Software at the University of Stuttgart. You may remember me from the last workshop, back then I was a working student with the preCICE team at the Technical University of Munich.

I have been involved with preCICE for more than two years. I contribute to the FEniCS adapter and Python bindings and also work a lot with the tutorial cases. I am also attempting to update the FLUENT adapter for preCICE to be usable with latest ANSYS versions.

During my Master thesis work I explored the possibilities of using preCICE in nuclear fusion modelling. My thesis supervisor Andreas Stegmeir from Max Planck Institute of Plasma Physics will give an interesting talk on this topic during this workshop. My current research interest is in exploring micro-macro scale coupling. In this workshop I will present the new FEniCS Adapter design and its corresponding usage.

I studied mechanical engineering in India and later computational science and engineering (CSE) at TUM.

During this workshop I am looking forward to interacting with new and experienced users of preCICE and get to know their experiences of using the adapters, language bindings and tutorials. I am also excited to see new applications areas where preCICE is being used!

See you all next week!

3 Likes

Hi everyone,

My name is Pooria Nazem Jalali. I am working as research engineer in Metallurgy Department of SWERIM AB in Sweden.

I am mainly performing research activities for Continuous Casting process where we use both physical and numerical models. I have recently heard about preCICE and would like to have more information about it and hopefully to start to use it in my research.

Looking forward to see you all.

Cheers,
/Pooria

3 Likes

Hello everyone,

I am Matthias Freimuth and a PhD candidate at MTU Aero Engines in Munich. I am currently working on a preCICE adapter for the TRACE code to simulate turbomachinery flows.
I also expect to modify and extend the CalculiX adapter as part of my work.
I have been involved with preCICE since I wrote my master’s thesis two years ago and have already attended last year’s workshop.
I’m looking forward to learning more about preCICE itself and its applications this year.

See you next week!

5 Likes

Hello All

I am Dr. Shyam Sunder Yadav, Assistant Professor in the Mechanical engineering department at BITS Pilani India.

I am currently working on fluid structure interaction of cavitation erosion problem. I want to use preCICE to couple compressible two phase flow solver like ECOGEN and some structural solver capable of handling plastic deformation and material erosion problem. I want your suggestions on the structural solver.

Thanks for the workshop and preCICE!

Regards

4 Likes

Hi everyone,

I am Alexander Jaust and I am working as postdoctoral researcher at the University of Stuttgart. I joined the department Simulation of Large Systems where I work on parallel couplings for interface problems within the CRC1313 using preCICE. Even though I am at the same department as some of the preCICE developers, I am mainly a user of preCICE.

After studying Computational Engineering Science i did a joint PhD at RWTH Aachen and Hasselt University. I have also worked at the supercomputer in Leuven for about a year. In total, I spent almost three great years in Belgium before returning back to Germany. You can find more about me on my personal homepage or simply ask. :slight_smile:

In my current work, I couple all kind of porous-media problems. The focus at the moment is on hydromechanical coupled simulations and coupling of free and porous-medium flow. For the hydromechanical simulations we couple two FEniCS codes and one of the main challenges at the moment is the mixed-dimensional modeling used. For the coupled free and porous-medium flow I use DuMuX which is a solver framework tailored for porous media. My goal is to eventually contribute a dumux-precice adapter in the near future.

Since I am mainly a user of preCICE, my contributions to the project mainly due to complaints and suggestions on GitHub. However, due to the use of FEniCS I am an active user of the Python bindings and eventually contributed to the Spack package for these bindings

Regarding the workshop, I am looking forward to see what others do with preCICE and what the current developments are. It is also always a great opportunity to meet new people. I will try to get you interested in (parts of) my work. :wink:

See you next week!
Alex

Related Links:

6 Likes

Hey everyone :v:t4:,

my name is Paul Voland and I started my PhD at the Institute of Applied Mechanics at the University of Stuttgart in September 2020. Before, I studied Simulation Technology in bachelor’s and master’s courses, both also at the University of Stuttgart. I just scratched the surface of preCICE in a mandatory lecture a few semesters ago (where a self-written code needed to be coupled to OpenFoam) up to now. :ok_man:t4:

For one aspect of my PhD topic, I want to simulate the hydromechanical coupling of fracture networks (and especially their pressure or thermal excitation) with the surrounding porous media. Together with @ajaust and Patrick Schmidt (also from the Institute of Applied Mechanics), we will keep on working on this problem using two FEniCS codes as already described by Alex.

Since Alex is quite advanced concerning preCICE, I wish to really get an overview of how preCICE actually works, how we use it in our coding in detail and which other use cases exist out there in the workshop. I also want to gain a deep understanding of the arising issues when coupling two codes. Therefore, I guess the workshop will give me some valuable insights through the general and user-specific talks and the contact to you all!

See you next Monday & greetings,
Paul

5 Likes

Hello everyone,

I am Aravinth Ravikumar and I recently started my PhD at Helmholtz Zentrum Geesthacht, Germany two weeks ago. I completed my masters in computational sciences in engineering at TU Braunschweig, Germany in March 2020. My research focusses on developing numerical models to simulate the effusion and trapping of hydrogen in ultra-high strength steels.

At our institute, we are trying to develop a model to simulate coupled corrosion-fracture problems. Hence our interest in Precice. I am new to Precice and will be getting my first introduction to it through this workshop. I am very excited to learn Precice and use it in my thesis as well. I am also excited to meet fellow researchers, listen to talks about their research and how they plan to use Precice and gain some insight.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Catch you all on Monday.

5 Likes

Hi Everyone…
Myself Lakshmanan Kasi pursuing PhD at Anna University Chennai, India. Working in the field of high speed aerodynamics and nanomaterials. I pursued my bachelor’s in Aeronautical and master’s in CAD CAM.
Interested to learn preCICE and to implement it in interdisciplinary approach.

Happy to engage with preCICE experts next week…
Lakshmanan Kasi

4 Likes

Hi all!

My name is David Barreiro, a PhD student at University of A Coruña (Spain) in collaboration with the von Karman Institute (Belgium). I studied both the bachelor and master in Industrial Engineering at the same university, where I had the opportunity to collaborate with the research group. My PhD project is focused on the CFD modeling of multiphase interactions.

I found preCICE some months ago looking for alternatives to couple OpenFOAM with external solver. At that time, I contacted Gerasimos to congratulate them for the excellent job and to get more info, but unfortunately I didn’t have time to go very deep on the details. I’m very happy to see that only a couple of months later, the community has grown a lot and much more information/content is available. In my case, I want to build the communication between a monophasic solver (let’s say pimpleFoam) and a python solver in a kind of FSI. For my application, I need to read the stresses at a boundary and, based on that, compute in python the displacements. I managed to do part of the job, but most of the times based on trial-error. From this workshop I want to learn more about the details of preCICE, specially the coupling techniques, mapping between solvers and how to correctly set the configuration file.

Looking forward to see you next week!

David

4 Likes

Hi everyone, thanks for this great initiative. Its great to learn what kind of multi-physics simulations people are doing around the world and how preCICE can tackle all those.

I completed my PhD from Penn State University in 2019 working on wall heat transfer modeling in IC engines. If I had known about preCICE back, I would have completed my PhD much faster for sure! I spent 2020 doing a post-doc in Texas A&M simulating flow past a cylinder with heat transfer and looking at wall modeling for such flows. Since Jan 2021, I am a post-doc at Oak Ridge National Lab working on multi-physics simulations of Fusion reactors (hopefully, I will get to see one of those for commercial power production in my life time). We are trying to develop a coupled solver (see attached figure) for neutronics (using MCNP and Shift), CFD (using OpenFOAM which is my expertise and HiMag) and structures (Diablo). This will enable us to test new Fusion design concepts and propose improved design suggestions.

I am very new to the preCICE platform, which looks quite promising. I am mainly looking forward to learn about:

1. How to build adapters for commercial and in-house solvers so as to couple with other solvers via preCICE ?
  2. How to couple multiple solvers simulating multi-physics occurring at multi-scales ?
  3. How to parallelize the solution of multiple solvers some of which are surface coupled while others are volume coupled ?

Eagerly looking forward to the workshop.

preCICE

6 Likes

Hi all,

My name is Jurgen Kersschot and I’m a PhD candidate at the KU Leuven, Belgium (Noise & Vibration Research Group – Mecha(tro)nic System Dynamics). My research topic is flow-induced vibrations in duct systems, or in other words, the interaction between the flow-acoustic field and the structural vibrations of the duct walls. The goal is to understand how this interaction affects the performance of noise mitigation solutions and to improve these solutions.

To study the interaction, I coupled an in-house aeroacoustics solver for the linearized Euler equations to a self-developed linear elasto-dynamics solver (taking mass and stiffness matrices from Simcenter 3D-NX Nastran). The coupling is managed by the preCICE library. As both solvers are written in C++, including the preCICE API was straightforward with the use of the step-by-step guide in the wiki.

I have been using preCICE since April 2019, first in my 2D test simulations and then for my 3D simulations (which have recently started giving decent results). I found preCICE during a literature study and I’m familiar with the explicit coupling between serial codes. I also build preCICE from source on the VSC-Flemish supercomputer (https://www.vscentrum.be/) and I run my 3D simulations there. During the workshop last year I got help from Benjamin Rodenberg to install the Matlab bindings on the VSC, but I was not able to use them yet in my research. I can only tell good things about preCICE.

During the hands-on user support sessions I would like to discuss how to couple the parallelized version of the aeroacoustics code (MPI) through preCICE.

Looking forward to next week!

4 Likes

Hello Everyone,

My name is Arnav Ajmani and working at IMVT, Universität Stuttgart as a research assistant. I learned about preCICE from one of my colleagues and quite new to preCICE. During the workshop, I look forward to learn more about this tool and also try to figure out how to exactly use it for my research project. My project is related to particle-laden fluid structure interaction.

I mainly want to understand and learn

• development of an Adapter to couple a pair/number of solvers. For eg. CFDEM with Calculix

Looking forward to meet you all! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes