In this project a FSI coupling was established together with @louisgag to investigate the influence of rotor blade deformation of cycloidal rotors and its effect on the rotor efficiency.
The preCICE OpenFOAM adapter uses the
pointDisplacement function of OpenFOAM to couple motion data. However, simulating rotating bodies of a cyclorotor is not yet possible with this approach in OpenFOAM. Therefore an additional OpenFOAM class was added to couple the rotation motion directly from the MBDyn adapter to OpenFOAM.
The work was part of a Bachelor Thesis conducted at the Institute of Aerodynamics and Gas Dynamics Stuttgart, Germany (link).
A dataset of the simulation results including the base case setup can be found here:
Schließus, Julian and Gagnon, Louis, Data for: Create a Fluid-Structure Simulation Framework for Cycloidal Rotors, DaRUS, 2022, https://doi.org/10.18419/darus-2232
- preCICE OpenFOAM adapter
- adjusted preCICE MBDyn Adapter, developed by Hagen Leipprand at the Institute of Aerodynamics and Gas Dynamics Stuttgart, Germany
- Python 3.7.6 to process the data between MBDyn and preCICE
- C++ to couple the rotation motion of the rotor via a socket connection from the MBDyn adapter to OpenFOAM
- preCICE v2.2.0
- OpenFOAM v2012 as fluid solver
- MBDyn as structure solver (utilized branch)