Installation for OpenFOAM 9 on Ubuntu 20.04

Hi,
I am trying to install the preCICE library after some time. I am encountering some errors. My issue is the same as the one identified here Broken in OpenFOAM-dev: TurbulenceModels library replaced by MomentumTransportModels · Issue #129 · precice/openfoam-adapter · GitHub

Os is Ubuntu 20.04, Openfoam is openfoam9 available via the package manager, and preCICE library is libprecice2_2.5.0_focal.deb as outlined in the quickstart guide.

Is there a way to install preCICE using the default libraries available on Ubuntu 20.04? Appreciate any help in this regard.

Best regards,
Chenna

Hi,
I’m not 100% sure about it, but I presume you need to compile the preCICE branch named OpenFOAM9. I’m not sure if it works as is on ubuntu 20.04 right now. It worked for me when I had Ubuntu 20.04 and OF9.
Kind regards
Claudio

Hi @chennachaos,

as you probably know, different OpenFOAM versions are often very different. We try to support as many as we can: OpenFOAM support | preCICE - The Coupling Library

To do so without complicating the code too much, we maintain different branches for different versions, which we update with every feature/major release of the adapter.

For OpenFOAM 9, you need to download the OpenFOAM9-specific archive from the latest feature release (Release v1.2.0 · precice/openfoam-adapter · GitHub) or build the OpenFOAM 9 branch.

Note that, while we do some basic tests with the Foundation line, we mainly work with the OpenCFD line, as it is generally backwards-compatible and easier for us to maintain. If you find any issues specific to a Foundation version, your feedback would be very helpful.

Hi Claudio,
Thank you! I will check.

Hi @Makis,

Thank you!
I understand that it is not possible to support all. I will try to install the newer versions of OpenFOAM and then try preCICE.

1 Like

In case you have not used the OpenCFD version recently, in the past few years they have started distributing Debian packages for Ubuntu. You can now install it quite easily from their PPA repository (similar to the Foundation PPA): debian · Wiki · Development / openfoam · GitLab

I managed to install the latest version of OpenFOAM and then installed the preCICE library. I tested both. Working fine. Thank you!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.