Troubles in trying to run the OpenFOAM-Deal.II FSI tutorials

Dear developers of preCICE:
I am trying to run the OpenFOAM-Deal.II FSI tutorials. I followed the build process instructions. And I successfully run the preCICE adapter dummy examples and OpenFOAM self coupling examples. I use OpenFOAM-v2006 and Deal. II 9.2. I cloned the tutorial reporsitory. And put the Deal.II linear_elasticity and linear_elasticity.prm in the flap_prep/solid folder. But when I typed ./Solid/linear_elasticity Solid/linear_elasticity.prm, the errors return as follows:
\
(base) afan@afan-XPS-8700:~/myProject/precice/tutorials/FSI/flap_perp/OpenFOAM-deal.II$ ./Solid/linear_elasticity Solid/linear_elasticity.prm
—[precice] This is preCICE version 2.1.0
—[precice] Revision info: v2.1.0
—[precice] Configuring preCICE with configuration “precice-config.xml”
—[precice] I am participant “Solid”
Triangulation:
Number of active cells: 54
Polynomial degree: 3
Number of degrees of freedom: 6,600
Output written to solution-0.vtk

—[precice] ERROR: The given mesh name “Solid_mesh” is unknown to preCICE. Please check the mesh definitions in the configuration.
\\
And I am a liitle confused about the tutorial folder. Because there is a parameter.prm file. I don’t know whether I should use parameter.prm or linear_elasticity.prm as the input file for the solid solver.
And why I typed ./Allrun, the Solid.log returns:
\
./Allrun: line 65: Solid/coupled_elasto_dynamics: No such file or directory
\
I also tried to change the name of “linear_elasticity” to “coupled_elasto_dynamics”. And there is still some configuration errors in the Solid.log.
\
—[precice] e[0m This is preCICE version 2.1.0
—[precice] e[0m Revision info: v2.1.0
—[precice] e[0m Configuring preCICE with configuration “precice-config.xml”
—[precice] e[0m I am participant “Solid”
Triangulation:
Number of active cells: 54
Polynomial degree: 3
Number of degrees of freedom: 6,600
Output written to solution-0.vtk

—[precice] e[31mERROR: e[0m The given mesh name “Solid_mesh” is unknown to preCICE. Please check the mesh definitions in the configuration.
\
And I tried to comment the Solid_mesh configuration. And it still doesn’t work.
I found there was a difference in linear_elasticity.prm and parameter.prm. I tried to modify the two .prm according to the precice-config.xml. But I tried many times. And I still can’t run the tutorial (the error always come from the solid part, the fluid part runs with no error). And I would like to know how I can make the turtorials run. The wiki page’s instructions seem not work for me.
Best wishes!
Ivan

Hi @Dolphin,

which branch of the tutorial repository are you using? My best guess would be that your tutorial clone is not in sync with the remote repository.

You don’t need to copy the parameter files. In the most recent version, the naming of the parameter files is also consistent with the adapter branch.

Could you run a git pull in the tutorial branch and run your case with the given parameter file (in the tutorial repo) again? I think the runSolid script assumes the location of your executable in the main directory, not in the Solid directory, but you can modify it or run it directly from the subfolder.

Let us know, if it works for you!

1 Like

Hi @DavidSCN,
The problem is just because of what you pointed out: I forked the tutorial repository about a year ago which is out-dated now, and git cloned that version.
Now I cloned the up-to-date tutorial and followed the tutorial wiki. Everything works fine~
Thank you very much!
Best wishes!
Ivan