Quickstart tutorial hanging on communication

Hi,

I am a macOS M2 user, and trying to set up the Quickstart example. I built precice from source with Prefix ~/software/precice.

Here is a screenshot of the terminal windows showing the hanging situation:

I have already tried:
Installing python-bindings, preCICE is looking at /usr/local
Help! The participants are not finding each other!

And I passed all of the ctest tests while building precice, and I also didn’t have any issues for the openfoam-adapter.

These are the Allwmake and wmake log files in case they contain relevant information:
Allwmake.log (612 Bytes)
wmake.log (36.1 KB)

Thanks for your help!

Hi @jingyacn1,

do you get any issues loading the OpenFOAM adapter? That should be visible near the beginning of the log of the left pane. It looks like OpenFOAM continued and exited without loading the OpenFOAM adapter.

This is usually due to linking issues. In fact, looking at your wmake.log, I see the following:

ld: warning: dylib (/Volumes/OpenFOAM-v2306/platforms/darwin64ClangDPInt32Opt/lib/libfiniteVolume.dylib) was built for newer macOS version (14.0) than being linked (13.0)
ld: warning: dylib (/Volumes/OpenFOAM-v2306/platforms/darwin64ClangDPInt32Opt/lib/libmeshTools.dylib) was built for newer macOS version (14.0) than being linked (13.0)
ld: warning: dylib (/Volumes/OpenFOAM-v2306/platforms/darwin64ClangDPInt32Opt/lib/libcompressibleTurbulenceModels.dylib) was built for newer macOS version (14.0) than being linked (13.0)
ld: warning: dylib (/Volumes/OpenFOAM-v2306/platforms/darwin64ClangDPInt32Opt/lib/libincompressibleTurbulenceModels.dylib) was built for newer macOS version (14.0) than being linked (13.0)
ld: warning: dylib (/Volumes/OpenFOAM-v2306/platforms/darwin64ClangDPInt32Opt/lib/libimmiscibleIncompressibleTwoPhaseMixture.dylib) was built for newer macOS version (14.0) than being linked (13.0)

Maybe you need to upgrade your macOS version, or install OpenFOAM specifically for maxOS 13.0?

Thanks Makis, I updated the system and built the openfoam-adapter the problem is still there.

For some reason, the openfoam adapter is unable to load while running.
Allwmake.log (612 Bytes)
ldd.log (45 Bytes)
wmake.log (35.3 KB)

Can you write the output of OpenFOAM to a log file and upload it here?

Here is the log file. It looks like libpreciceAdapterFunctionObject.dylib cannot be found. And I tried to export ADAPTER_TARGET_DIR path with no luck
tutorial-openfoam.log (1012.0 KB)

Here is the related part of the OpenFOAM log:

--> FOAM Warning : 
    From void *Foam::dlLibraryTable::openLibrary(const fileName &, bool)
    in file db/dynamicLibrary/dlLibraryTable/dlLibraryTable.C at line 188
    Could not load "libpreciceAdapterFunctionObject.so"
dlopen(libpreciceAdapterFunctionObject.dylib, 0x0009): tried: '/Volumes/OpenFOAM-v2212/platforms/darwin64ClangDPInt32Opt/lib/openmpi/libpreciceAdapterFunctionObject.dylib' (no such file), '/Volumes/OpenFOAM-v2212/platforms/darwin64ClangDPInt32Opt/lib/libpreciceAdapterFunctionObject.dylib' (no such file), '/Volumes/OpenFOAM-v2212/usr/opt/fftw/lib/libpreciceAdapterFunctionObject.dylib' (no such file), '/Volumes/OpenFOAM-v2212/usr/opt/mpfr/lib/libpreciceAdapterFunctionObject.dylib' (no such file), '/Volumes/OpenFOAM-v2212/usr/opt/gmp/lib/libpreciceAdapterFunctionObject.dylib' (no such file), '/Volumes/OpenFOAM-v2212/usr/opt/cgal/lib/libpreciceAdapterFunctionObject.dylib' (no such file), '/Volumes/OpenFOAM-v2212/usr/opt/boost/lib/libpreciceAdapterFunctionObject.dylib' (no such file), '/Volumes/OpenFOAM-v2212/usr/opt/open-mpi/lib/libpreciceAdapterFunctionObject.dylib' (no such file), '/Volumes/OpenFOAM-v2212/platforms/darwin64ClangDPInt32Opt/lib/dummy/libpreciceAdapterFunctionObject.dylib' (no such file), 'libpreciceAdapterFunctionObject.dylib' (no such file), '/System/Volumes/Preboot/Cryptexes/OSlibpreciceAdapterFunctionObject.dylib' (no such file), '/usr/lib/libpreciceAdapterFunctionObject.dylib' (no such file, not in dyld cache), 'libpreciceAdapterFunctionObject.dylib' (no such file)
--> FOAM Warning : 
Unknown function type preciceAdapterFunctionObject

Strange that it is first referring to libpreciceAdapterFunctionObject.so (expected Linux name) and then to libpreciceAdapterFunctionObject.dylib (I assume expected macOS name).

Does the file /Users/jli51/OpenFOAM/jli51-v2212/platforms/darwin64ClangDPInt32Opt/lib/libpreciceAdapterFunctionObject.dylib exist?

By the way, I have no clue if the OpenFOAM adapter can work on macOS. I don’t know of anyone else using that combination. preCICE itself is even rather experimental on macOS.

Hi Makis,

It still doesn’t work for me. I will switch to a Linux subsystem for now. Thanks for your advice!

1 Like