preCICE demo virtual machine

This is meant as a crowd-sourced support thread for the Demo Virtual Machine. Please ask here questions about any issue that you may face (e.g., “how do I change the X settings?”, “where do I find Y?”).

For confirmed issues and suggestions, feel free to contribute to the precice-vm repository on GitHub.

3 Likes

Hi,
I’m facing a small issue while trying to install Demo virtual machine on 64 bit Windows 10 OS. I followed the instructions provided on Installing Virtual Machine. The output of vagrant up, is giving the following error

**Bringing machine 'default' up with 'virtualbox' provider...**
**==> default: Box 'precise/precise-vm' could not be found. Attempting to find and install...**
** default: Box Provider: virtualbox**
** default: Box Version: >= 0**
**The box 'precise/precise-vm' could not be found or**
**could not be accessed in the remote catalog. If this is a private**
**box on HashiCorp's Vagrant Cloud, please verify you're logged in via**
**`vagrant login`. Also, please double-check the name. The expanded**
**URL and error message are shown below:**

**URL: ["https://vagrantcloud.com/precise/precise-vm"]**
**Error: The requested URL returned error: 404**

I also tried initializing the updated specific version (v202202.0.0) using vagrant init precise/precise-vm --box-version 202202.0.0, however the error still persists. Can you suggest which minor detail is being overlooked from my side.

Common spelling mistake. It’s
precice/precice-vm

standing for precise Code Interaction Coupling Environment

1 Like

Thank you !!! That’s very naïve one but I’ll still keep the post for the noobs like me who are trying to install it in hurry :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Of course, very common problem :+1: Is your issue solved?

Hello, I am facing some issues while installing demo VM on 64 bit Windows 11 OS. I installed oracle virtual box and vagrant successfully. However, when I use ‘vagrant up’, after 30% there is an error while executing VboxManage. CLI used by Vagrant. I am attaching the image for reference, could you please suggest the solution.

@kandekac Does VirtualBox generally work on your system? You could try this out by just installing a normal Ubuntu or similar. Sometimes you have to apply special BIOS settings for VirtualBox to work properly. See, for example virtualbox - Virtualization BIOS setting Windows 10 - Super User. But be careful: You can also seriously break things in your BIOS.

@kandekac This is unfortunate, especially as we have no experience with Windows 11 at all. So, this will be difficult for us to debug.

As a first step, I would suggest to create some VM and simply see if you can start it. It won’t do anything, but it will be a good first test.

I get such errors when I am running out of storage. Are you sure that you have enough free space (and memory)?

I checked, there was no storage problem.

But I tried on another system with Windows 10. It worked!

Thank you!

3 Likes