Why only linear elasticity material supported for Fenics?

Hi.

Is there a specific reason why in Precice, Fenics structural models are limited to linear elastic materials? FeniCS has such a wealth of already programmed constitutive models (in 2/3D). More importantly, it has a really awesome and active community. It feels like such a shame that I can’t run, say, the Turek-Huron benchmark using the combination of OpenFoam-FeniCS.

Any feedback I can get on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Hi @Jose_Gonsalves,

since FEniCS is a toolkit, our tutorials are examples of using this toolkit. Since we mostly develop tutorials to study the coupling itself, our tutorials are mostly toy problems and linear elasticity is the simplest structure model.

I am not involved in the development of the FEniCS adapter, but my gut feeling tell me that you could easily add the non-linear model yourself. The code is, anyway, open! :smile:

Maybe @IshaanDesai can say more here.

Hi @Jose_Gonsalves,

If you want to couple a FEniCS code with another solver using preCICE, we have created the FEniCS-preCICE adapter. This adapter helps you to couple a FEniCS solver that you have written, to some other solver (like OpenFOAM). FEniCS and the adapter are both essentially libraries which can be used, so writing the solver is the users responsibility. In our tutorials we have a linear elasticity solver in FEniCS just as an example to show how to use the adapter to couple FEniCS with other solvers.