Understanding dataflow - Calculix to OpenFOAM

Hello All,
I am writing a new dynamicMesh class for OpenFOAM that I am hoping to use with Calculix. This class will allow both rotation and deformation.
Could you please give me an overview of how displacement data is moved/converted from the solid solver for use in OpenFOAM. I am interested in what format the displacement data is in and how this is translated into OpenFOAM legible data.
Thanks!

Hi @Dawid1994

I am not yet sure how much this is a question about how preCICE or about how the adapters work. But let’s see.

Both coupling participants (OpenFOAM and CalculiX) define a coupling mesh at a certain boundary with preCICE.

• In CalculiX, this is the nodal mesh.
  • In OpenFOAM, this can be the nodes and/or the faces.
  • preCICE maps data between both meshes (and more).

What kind of displacements? You can choose. Both adapters support:

• Displacements (current deformation - initial deformation)
  • DisplacementDeltas (current deformation - deformation from last timestep)

I guess what you are most interested in is how displacements are read in OpenFOAM. This happens here. Questions is: would that already work with your own dynamicMesh solver?

Of course, you always have the possibility to not use the OpenFOAM adapter, but adapt your own OpenFOAM solver. I would, however, only recommend this step if you are sure that the OpenFOAM adapter does not do what you want and cannot easily be extended to what you want.

Did I answer your question?

1 Like

Hi @uekerman

Many thanks for your informative reply.

I have found the DisplacementDeltas file. This contained the information I need.

Many thanks,
Dawid

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.