preCICE and mingw packages

Hi,
I recently I added the preCICE package to the mingw (msys) environment:

Is it worth adding an MPI compilation flag (mingw currently has msmpi)?:
-DPRECICE_MPICommunication=ON

2 Likes

@rafal Thank you for contributing the package!

MPI communication is very useful to speed-up the intra-participant configuration, so enabling it will definitely pay off.

We don’t have a lot of experience with msmpi, but are definitely aiming to support it. Our long term goal is for preCICE to run natively on Windows and supporting the Microsoft MPI SDK is one item on the TODO list.

Could you try to build the package with MPI enabled?
Every crumb of information helps at this stage.

Hi,

Pull request accepted (enable mpi):

PETSc should also be added soon (to msys2/mingw64):

A post was split to a new topic: CalculiX adapter with MinGW

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I reopened this (automatically closed) topic. Let’s use this as the central place to discuss package updates. (see Base Package: mingw-w64-precice - MSYS2 Packages)

1 Like

$ pacman -S mingw-w64-x86_64-precice
error: mingw32: key β€œ5F944B027F7FE2091985AA2EFA11531AA0AA7F57” is unknown
error: key β€œ5F944B027F7FE2091985AA2EFA11531AA0AA7F57” could not be looked up remotely
error: mingw64: key β€œ5F944B027F7FE2091985AA2EFA11531AA0AA7F57” is unknown
error: key β€œ5F944B027F7FE2091985AA2EFA11531AA0AA7F57” could not be looked up remotely
error: msys: key β€œ5F944B027F7FE2091985AA2EFA11531AA0AA7F57” is unknown
error: database β€˜mingw32’ is not valid (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))
error: database β€˜mingw64’ is not valid (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))
error: database β€˜msys’ is not valid (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))

sir ,getting this type of error, sir i am using msys2 openfoamv2012 on windows 8.1 and i just want to try foam to foam coupling.

Is your installation of mingw/msys up to date or do you use an older version? Could you tell us what happens if you update (pacman -Syu) and which version of mingw/msys you are using?

This looks like that you either use an old version where the current keys for signing packages are missing, something is wrong with your keyring or that msys2-keyring has been updated. I am not an expert at this and cannot test it myself at the moment so maybe somebody else knows more.

Thanks for replay

1. Yes package is working on newest mingw

2. Sir if its up-to-date then there is no problem of installation of that given command but problem is in migw version of openfoam from openfoam.com and that restricted updated of mingw.

Now i am trying to install calculix on mingw because i think su2 and calculix coupling may be done in windows, su2 is working fine but still i can’t figure out how to install calculix on mingw i have spent entire day but no success on that.

Regarding 1 and 2 one has to see what is the best/easiest solution. For the preCICE package to work with an old version of mingw the developers of preCICE would have to create a release that is signed with an old key. Alternatively one would have to upgrade OpenFOAM to a new mingw, but I do not know if that is possible.

Are you on Windows 10? Then you could try using the Windows subsystem for Linux which allows to install Linux (ideally Ubuntu) and integrate it into Windows. This would by far the easiest way. I this possible for you? I think it would also make it much easier to install SU2 and/or Calculix.

2 Likes

Hi @rafal,

I am trying to install the MinGW package for the first time. It is also my first time using MinGW, as I usually work on Linux (and I do understand several aspects of pacman).

I installed MSYS2 on Windows 10 and then I ran pacman -S mingw-w64-x86_64-precice. It looks like it did install everything.

However, I am not sure if I need any extra step to start using what I now installed. I see that the package provides the executable /mingw64/bin/binprecice.exe. However, if I try to run this file, I get:

MSYS ~
$ /mingw64/bin/binprecice.exe
C:/msys64/mingw64/bin/binprecice.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libprecice.dll: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I actually expect errors later on, as building preCICE v2.3.0 should fail with Boost 1.79. But this step should already work, right?

I am also trying to understand what the limitations of this approach is. I imagine that the libraries I install in MSYS2 are also available for the rest of the system. But are they compatible? If I have a code built with Visual Studio, can I link to it preCICE built with MinGW?

Hi,
Try run precice in mingw64 console instead msys2 (msys2.exe, mingw64.exe), as you can see precice is only build for mingw(32, 64, ucrt):
Base Package: mingw-w64-precice - MSYS2 Packages

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this preCICE package. I have personally found it pretty useful.

Thanks for your help, and sorry for returning so late on this.

I started a MINGW64 environment via running C:\msys64\mingw64.exe. In the terminal that popped up, I executed /mingw64/bin/binprecice.exe, but I still get the same error.