OpenFOAM mesh motion problem: Compression of single cells

Dear friends,

we have a problem with mesh motion in OpenFOAM (for FSI applications with CalculiX), especially when the fluid mesh is to be compressed into a gap by displacing the solid domain.

Here, the displacementLaplacian displacement approach in OpenFOAM shows a strong compression of individual cells in the domain in a wave-like structure up to the crash. I use hex grids and planar simulations. I have encountered this problem frequently and I wonder if anyone has already found a solution for a better mesh motion in OpenFOAM for cases like this.

Many greetings

Ulrich

b1

Dear Ulrich,

try using the RBFMeshMotionSolver from the nextRelease branch of solids4Foam, which should work with the latest OpenFOAM adapter (v1.2.0, currently in master, to be tagged very soon):

Dear Makis, thanks a lot. I will try this. I tried meanwhile SBRStress solver which is directly available in OpenFOAM.The SBRStress solver gives also a pretty nice mesh with good orthogonality. But Iā€™m not yet at the end of my mesh desired compression. I will check out which solver then allows the highest grid compression.
Best regards
Ulrich

2 Likes