Interpolation matrix of RBF mapping is not invertable

I believe I have successfully installed OpenFOAM v2006, CalculiX 2.16, and preCICE 2.1.1 with the necessary OpenFOAM and CalculiX adapters. I can successfully run the 3D_Tube tutorial. However, when I attempt to run the flap_perp or cylinderFlap tutorials I am met with the following error:

---[precice] ^[[31mERROR: ^[[0m The interpolation matrix of the RBF mapping from mesh Fluid-Mesh-Faces to mesh Solid is not invertable. This means that the mapping problem is not well-posed. Please check if your coupling meshes are correct. Maybe you need to fix axis-aligned mapping setups by marking perpendicular axes as dead?

I have not altered anything in the precice-config.xml file from the tutorial. I do notice that the precice-config.xml file is using y-dead (for flap_perp) or z-dead (for cylinderFlap) appropriately within the mapping tag.

I’m assuming this has something to do with the fact that these are 2D problems composed on 3D meshes. The OpenFOAM mesh appears to be set up appropriately, as it uses the “empty” boundary condition type in its mesh definition. I admit that I am new to CalculiX, so I’m unsure where to look here.

Any help will be most appreciated!

Exactly. This is a known problem, see Restructure pseudo-2D cases to use preCICE in 2D · Issue #112 · precice/tutorials · GitHub.
We are working on a fix right now.

A workaround is to not use RBF, but a nearest-neighor (or nearest-projection) mapping.

Ah, I should have checked GitHub issues. I look forward to the fix!

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.