FSI of a deformable pitching foil with OpenFOAM and Calculix

Hey @Makis . Thank you for your answer.

Yes, I have seen it, though if I’m not mistaken there’s no CalculiX participant for that tutorial (only deal.II). As I mentioned in my first post, at first I tried with different geometries but had no success and because of that I decided to take the FSI3 case (i.e. a case that already worked) and modify it a bit. As a matter of fact, the fluid participant here is taken from that same tutorial and changed a bit (no parabolic profile for inlet velocity, adjusted which patches make up the coupling interface as needed, etc.). Essentially, it’s the FSI3 case with an additional forced motion of the flap at its leading surface.

At first I thought so too, but when running that case alone (with vanilla CalculiX 2.16), it behaves properly. It is when running it with the preCICE executable (ccx_precice) and coupling it with OF that it does not. Furthermore, as I pointed out in my last post, node 1 of the CalculiX mesh mysteriously stays fixed in its original position, even though there are no displacement BC for that on it. Going through the forums I found out that someone had experienced the same thing before and solved it by downgrading to CalculiX 2.15. I might try that.

I’ll keep this in mind when setting things up. Thanks!

I shall keep at it and update if any breakthrough is achieved.

Andrés

1 Like