CMake cannot find PETSc

unfortunately I am having trouble when I try to build “preCICE using CMake”

build]$ cmake -DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS=ON ..
.....-- Validating Prettyprint - success
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:164 (message):
  PETSc could not be found.  Be sure to set PETSC_DIR and PETSC_ARCH.
  (missing: PETSC_INCLUDES PETSC_LIBRARIES PETSC_EXECUTABLE_RUNS) (found
  suitable version "3.13.0", minimum required is "3.6")
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:445 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  cmake/modules/FindPETSc.cmake:345 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
  CMakeLists.txt:209 (find_package)
-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/guido/precice-2.0.2/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/home/guido/precice-2.0.2/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".

I installed PETSc version “3.13.0” from source ,

PETSC_DIR                        /home/guido/petsc/petsc

install according PETSc: Documentation: Installation

./configure
make all test
xxx=========================================================================xxx
 Configure stage complete. Now build PETSc libraries with:
   make PETSC_DIR=/home/guido/petsc/petsc PETSC_ARCH=arch-linux-c-debug all
xxx=========================================================================xxx

build]$ ccmake -DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS=ON ..

PETSC_CURRENT                    ON 
PETSC_DIR                        /home/guido/petsc/petsc
ccmake  in (t)oggle mode 
PETSC                            ON  
PETSC_CURRENT                    ON  
PETSC_DIR                        /home/guido/petsc/petsc PETSC_INCLUDE_CONF               PETSC_INCLUDE_CONF-NOTFOUND  
PETSC_INCLUDE_DIR                /home/guido/petsc/petsc/include PETSC_LIBRARY_SINGLE             PETSC_LIBRARY_SINGLE-NOTFOUND       
PKG_CONFIG_EXECUTABLE            /usr/bin/pkg-config
....  petsc]$ ls $PETSC_DIR/$PETSC_ARC 
arch-linux-c-debug       CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md  configure      configure.log.bkp  gmakefile       GNUmakefile  interfaces   lib      linux-precice  make.log     RDict.log  setup.py  src
bitbucket-pipelines.yml  config              configure.log  CONTRIBUTING       gmakefile.test  include      Jenkinsfile  LICENSE  makefile       petscdir.mk  README.md  share     systems

[--- petsc]$  ls $PETSC_DIR/$PETSC_ARCH/include 
petscaodef.mod     petscdmda.mod         petscdmlabel.mod       petscdmplexdef.mod   petscis.mod           petscmatdef.mod    .....

When compiling PETSc you should choose a prefix (installation directory). Then, after compilation PETSc prints a command for installation (something like make PETSC_DIR=.... Did you run this command?

If you do not run this command, you will have incomplete headers, for example, as the files are all copied to the correct location during the install step. Your include/ dir seems to lack the C headers and more. My include/ of PETSc looks like this for example

index.html                  petscdmdatypes.h.html    petscdrawtypes.h       petscmatelemental.h       petsctao.h.html
makefile                    petscdmfield.h           petscdrawtypes.h.html  petscmatelemental.h.html  petsctaolinesearch.h
makefile.html               petscdmfield.h.html      petscds.h              petscmath.h               petsctaolinesearch.h.html
petsc                       petscdmforest.h          petscds.h.html         petscmath.h.html          petsctime.h
1 Like

@gas The PETSc website now states that one should use the generated pkg-config file to detect PETSc from CMake. I developed a wrapper which is backward compatible with the previous use of PETSc and should resolve most of the PETSc-related issues.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.