Recreating perpendicular flap case using CalculiX and OpenFOAM

Hello
I am trying to recreate the perpendicular flap just like a few others on this discourse however, my issue comes down to the setup of the solid side.
I made the flap first and then applied a fixture to the bottom. Am I supposed to apply a force or pressure on the interface surfaces? The tutorial .inp file has a *CLOAD but all values are set to zero. I tried generating the file first in Salome and then also in FreeCAD but my files do not match the tutorial case.
What are the exact boundary conditions that I should apply when using one of these softwares rather than cgx?

Also, when using FreeCAD I tried applying a force of zero magnitude but it did not accept this. I then tried to see what the .inp file would look like if I applied a force on the interface surfaces of 1 N and found that the boundary condition is distributed on each node somehow. This did not look as straightforward as the tutorial set up.

Would appreciate any help.

Hi,

The adapter requires applying loads on node sets (or face sets depending on the data), not on individual nodes. For instance, in the tutorial example, it is defined as

*NSET,NSET=Nsurface 
[... many more until 738]

And then the force is applied to the node set:

*CLOAD
 Nsurface, 1, 0.0
 Nsurface, 2, 0.0
 Nsurface, 3, 0.0

I don’t know how to define sets in FreeCAD, but in the worst case you could write a script that reads all the nodes with a CLOAD on it and assemble this in a node set.

Hope it helps!

Hi @boris-martin
Thank you for your response. Yes I have been trying to make node sets using FreeCAD but have not been able to. Let me try compiling a script as well as reaching out to members on the CalculiX platform to find a solution.

Thanks again

2 Likes