Problems with building an adapter between 'sixDOFmotion solver' and 'CalculiX'

Hi Yujia,

That’s an interesting case that you try to realize. Thanks for the detailed description. I think I got it.

Here, I am lacking a bit OpenFOAM know-how, but I am not sure whether you can really run the rigid-body solver in OpenFOAM as a stand-alone solver. I thought it’s just some feature you can use in fluid solvers to do rigid-body FSI. So it would be two solvers you want to couple: interDyFoam and CalculiX, where you use the rigid-body FSI feature within interDyFoam and a structure-structure coupling between both. But I could be wrong.

I have a different suggestion. Why don’t you solve the whole structure directly in CalculiX? I guess you could use a very coarse mesh in the rigig-body part of the domain (maybe even only a single element?) and simply use a non-homogeneous material with infinity stiffness in the rigid part. Maybe you get an ill-conditioned problem then, but might be sth to ask in the CalculiX Forum. In contrast to the solution above, this suggestion should be much easier to simply try out.

1 Like