OpenFOAM2.4.0-MNF and XDEM coupling

Hello preCICE Community,

I am currently working with OpenFOAM2.4.0-MNF and utilizing the dsmcFoamPlus solver. I am interested in coupling this solver with XDEM and would like to know if this is feasible using the existing OpenFOAM preCICE adapter.

From what I have gathered, the preCICE adapter supports a range of coupled simulations including fluid-structure interaction (FSI), conjugate heat transfer (CHT), and fluid-fluid (FF) simulations​ (preCICE.org)​​ (preCICE.org)​. However, I am unsure about the specific steps or modifications required to achieve the coupling with XDEM, especially given the specialized nature of the dsmcFoamPlus solver.

Has anyone in the community successfully coupled OpenFOAM solvers with XDEM using preCICE? If so, could you please share your experiences or point me toward relevant documentation or examples? Additionally, any advice on configuring the preCICE adapter for this specific use case would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your support!

Best regards,
Madan B K

That would be @Alphaoo1 and his colleagues at the University of Luxembourg. Here is the respective community story: Community stories | preCICE - The Coupling Library

I don’t know what this is exactly, but if it is OpenFOAM 2.4.0, then I am afraid working with the current OpenFOAM adapter is not possible. You would need to update to a recent OpenFOAM version (ideally, the latest OpenFOAM.com, currently v2406).

The University of Strathclyde has developed a modified version of OpenFoam 2.4.0. Also, the University of Strathclyde has modified and added OpenFoam version 1706. Do you think the OpenFoam adapter will work with it?

v1706 (seven years old) could work, but needs some compatibility modifications. In previous releases (see v1.2.0, for preCICE v2), we released one code for all ESI versions after v1812, but the versions before (as well as each Foundation version) requires modifications, which are often large-scale.

We are currently discussing how to proceed with supporting multiple versions in Policy on support for OpenFOAM.org and other versions · Issue #328 · precice/openfoam-adapter · GitHub

The best long-term solution would be that you eventually upgrade your codebase to a newer version. It is difficult, I know, but supporting old versions is extremely complicated and resource-demanding for us as well (and generally for developers of various software projects).