Mapping diagnostics log output

Hello,

What is the best way for me to know how good the mapping is between a fluid and solid mechanics coupling interface meshes? Is there an option to specify in the configuration file to make preCICE write some mapping diagnostics (e.g., percent mapped nodes/elements/area on both sides of the interface) at the beginning of an analysis? I did look at the doc here and did not really see any reference to this. Sorry if this was already discussed earlier and I overlooked it.

Thanks in advance,
Satish

Hi,

A great tool to analyse the mapping is the export functionality of preCICE.

Simply define <export:vtk /> in the configuration of the participants of interest.
They will then export all locally handled meshes for all time-windows.
This export includes the vertex positions, defined vertex data, and connectivity. Note that connectivity is only available for meshes where the mapping requires it (nearest neighbour mapping / scaled-consistent mappings).

You can then use these exports to analyse the data mapping to your hearts content.

Our long-time goal is to provide a data-mapping analysis tool for exactly this purpose as part of the ASTE repository. The usage would look like this:

• enable exporters
  • run the simulation
  • run the analysis script
  • study the reports

The next release will also include a CSV exporter, which allows to easily post-process vertex information using your favourite spreadsheet editor or :snake: + :panda_face: .

Is there an option to specify in the configuration file to make preCICE write some mapping diagnostics (e.g., percent mapped nodes/elements/area on both sides of the interface) at the beginning of an analysis?

The nearest-neighbour mapping and the nearest-projection mapping already write some statistics of data mapping. This includes count, min, max, mean, and variance of the mapping distance between meshes.
For nearest-neighbour, this is the vertex-to-vertex distance and for nearest-projection, this is the vertex-to-projection-point distance.

Best
Frédéric

1 Like