How can I transform the force or pressure data calculated by openfoam into the initial stress condition of calculix?

Hi, everyone.
Now, I am doing the coupling between openfoam and calculix by precice. I am dealing with the pre-stretched membrane. But now, the couped simulation diverged at the first time step. I guess that there is an initial force on the membrane in openfoam but I don’t set this in calculix, which makes the simulation diverged. So I want to put the force or pressure data calculated by openfoam at the first time step as the initial stress condition of calculix. How can I do it? The force and pressure files are attached as following.

You need to configure data initialization. Look at the bottom of this page: Step 7 - Data initialization | preCICE - The Coupling Library

We should have this also as a note under the exchange tag in Coupling scheme configuration | preCICE - The Coupling Library Feel free to contribute! :hugs:

Hi, Makis.

Thanks for your suggestion. If I don’t misunderstand, you mean that I can realize it by configuring this data initialization tool in the source code and then adding that note. I will try it. Thank you so much.

The data initialization is already implemented in the OpenFOAM adapter, you just need to configure it in the XML file.

Sorry for late, Makis. I will try this tool. Thank you so much.

Hi Makis,
After several days working, I’m not succeed by using this method. The simulation also diverged at the first time step. The log files are presented here.
debug_OpenFOAM.log (3.6 KB)
debug_Solid.log (3.5 KB)
precice-config.xml (3.3 KB)
Solid-Mesh-Solid.final.txt (35.5 KB)
wave2foam.log (5.0 KB)
Is my preCICE setup file right?
Could you give me some suggestions? If you want to get more details, please feel free to telling me.

Could you please explain what your approach is at the moment / what you have tried?

If you export the preCICE meshes, do you see the initial values? Is it that preCICE does not exchange them, OpenFOAM does not write them, or CalculiX does not read them?

Thank you so much, Makis. I have solved it. The problem is due to the boundary condition of openfoam. Data initialization tool can handle my case.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.