IQN fails for quickly changing forces during wetting in a free-surface FSI problem

Summary: With help of @KyleDavisSA, I was able to run the interFoam+CCX dam breaking simulation.
Initially, the Young’s Modulus of the material was 10 times less than what it actually should be.
I was also using the filter limit for QR2 too high. Forces were included in the acceleration.

In the interFoam case, you can see the implicit coupling applied, this time including the Forces in the acceleration helped the simulation a lot.
With decreasing the heavy fluid density to 100kg/m3 and increasing the Young’s modulus along with IQN-ILS acceleration, you can see the results for the simulation.

Next, I increased the density to match the density to that of water, keeping the rest of the settings the same.
The simulation runs only until t=1.33s, but the results are sensible in terms of mapping.

The results do not differ much when using IQN-IMVJ

I think the simulation is failing on the OpenFoam side, due to excessive Courant number. (initially, it ran until t=1.2, with some modifications in fvSchemes and fvOptions, I was able to push it a bit farther.)

P.S: I could not upload the video here due to the large size file. But the links in the results have the video.
The following are the 2 settings I used for which the simulation works.

<acceleration:IQN-ILS>
                <data name="Displacements0" mesh="Solid"/>
                <data name="Forces0" mesh="Solid"/>
                <preconditioner type="residual-sum"/>
                <filter type="QR2" limit="1e-2"/>
                <initial-relaxation value="0.1"/> 
                <max-used-iterations value="100"/>
                <time-windows-reused value="10"/> 
            </acceleration:IQN-ILS>
<acceleration:IQN-IMVJ>
                <imvj-restart-mode truncation-threshold="0.0001" chunk-size="8" reused-time-windows-at-restart="8" type="RS-SVD"/>
                <data name="Displacements0" mesh="Solid"/>
                <data name="Forces0" mesh="Solid"/>
                <preconditioner type="residual-sum"/>
                <filter type="QR2" limit="1e-2"/>
                <initial-relaxation value="0.1"/> 
                <max-used-iterations value="100"/>
                <time-windows-reused value="10"/> 
            </acceleration:IQN-IMVJ>
1 Like