How to force 'snappyHexMesh' to produce only an ALL TRI surface mesh?

Hi all,

I am trying to create a mesh around a sphere in a rectangular box for a certain simulation in blastFOAM/OpenFOAM. The settings I chose (see files attached) in snappyhexmesh and blockmesh together results in a surface mesh on the sphere that is composed of polys, tri’s, and quads. See picture below. Does anyone know if it is possible to adjust the settings in order to ensure that I have entirely tri’s or quads and certainly not polygons?

Thanks in advance,
Satish
surfaceFeaturesDict.txt (1.1 KB)
blockMeshDict.txt (2.1 KB)
snappyHexMeshDict.txt (4.8 KB)

There is no way to force snappyHexMesh to create tris on your surface, as far as I know. In fact, snappyHexMesh is coded to mesh 3D hexes in your volume. The fact that it creates anything other than hexes is only to match geometries you give it. You’ll simply have to use another meshing program if you want to force tris on a surface. You can get snappyHexMesh to output stages of its meshing process. You can use this to get perfect hex blocks before they are snapped to the geometry surface, but I don’t think that’s what you’re looking for.

Random other thought: you may be able to pull this surface into ParaView and break each of the non-tri cells into triangles, but you won’t have any control over the quality of those triangles, and you won’t be able to export it directly to an openFoam mesh format.

Good luck!

1 Like