Coupling with different dimensional interface

Hi, I want to couple fluid solver with a beam structure solver. For my case, the fluid interface is 3d, beam is 1d. and in order to account for the beam node rotation, I add some auxiliary dummy nodes which are rigid attached to structure nodes, thus forms a 2d plate mesh. these dummy nodes are only output for mapping data with 3d fluid solver. I am new to preCICE, and I am wondering whether preCICE can deal with such a coupling problem?
Thanks in advance.

Welcome, @zhuwenguo!

On the one hand, preCICE does not currently do this automatically (we are working on 1D-3D/2D-3D mapping, but this is not yet in preCICE).

On the other hand, you can implement a simple 2D-3D interpolation in your adapter, and let preCICE map between 3D meshes. If I understand your problem correctly, it sounds very similar (if not identical) to what Qunsheng Huang did in his recent master’s thesis: https://mediatum.ub.tum.de/1540125 See figure 6.11 on page 71. To make it clearer, you can ignore the horizontal lines in the intermediate grid.

If I am not understanding correctly, feel free to post a picture describing your application.

MakisH, Thank you for your reply. Sorry to reply so late. Qunsheng Huang’s work is very similar to what I want to do. I think your suggestion is a good solution for me(if I understand what you mean correctly), I can output more dummy nodes to form a coarse 3d surface not only a 2d plane. and use preCICE to mapping between the coarse 3d surface and fluid solver, and do the less computational interpolation between the 1d and coarse 3d surface in the adapter. is this feasible?
Thank you!

I am not sure I understood your last comment, but yes, you can do the dimension change in the adapter and then let preCICE do the mapping between the two surfaces.

Regarding the

note that you don’t need to define “dummy” (i.e. completely artificial) data. You just do the mapping in two steps and in both steps: (1D Solid domain to 2D Solid interface in the adapter) + (2D Solid interface to 2D Fluid interface in preCICE), where by “2D interface” I mean the common boundary between two 3D domains.